Tata Sky - causing and sincerely regretting the inconveniences

I opted for Tata Sky, the famous DTH service provider in India, when I got my first LED LG TV in 2010. Initially, there were only SD channels, and in 2010, when Star India for the first time launched HD channels with 7.1 Dolby Surround sound in India, nothing stopped me from opting those as well. Although the prices for HD channels and overall pricing of SD channels were bit more than other DTH service providers, and channels stop working (no signal) on a rainy day, I was still more than happy to watch all the flicks on Start World, Zee Cafe and English movie channels.

For 5 years, Tata Sky walked fine with me in this DTH journey until I relocated to a different place when the company said TA TA (bye bye) to me. I was in Bangalore till 2015 and shifted to the North East keeping my base in Guwahati. Although the company is providing connections in Guwahati, somehow they managed to keep me out of the customer's league.

On March 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM I called the Tata Sky Customer Care from my Guwahati premises asking them to help me set up the DTH connection (Order ref no - NFAIWEV). Also told them that due to relocation issues, I couldn't get my dish antenna and cables, although, I could manage to get the Set Top Box and the activation card. I gave them my Customer ID number. The person on the other side took my request and told me that I would get the connection by same day evening. And I'll be charged for installation and a new 'dish antenna'. I said I was fine with the costs involved. As I left for my work, I got a call from the service center in Guwahati asking me the time I'll be available so that they can send the technician. I said 4 PM.

I reached home by 3:30 PM of March 15 and waited till 4:30 PM. As no one turned up, I called the customer care again and they told that installation will be done by 6 PM. By 5:54 PM, I got a call from a technician from Tata Sky named Naba (Ph no - 9706571590). He asked whether I need a Tata Sky connection. I was little surprised. I said of course I do. He then informed me that he was on his way and will take about half an hour to reach my place. By 6:16 PM he calls again asking for the address. I gave it.

By 6:30 Naba reaches my place and asks me to show him the TV room and the terrace where he had planned to install the dish antenna. After about 15 mins of inspection he asked me to give him the cables. I said I don't have any. He was little pissed and he said that a customer has to get the cables as his senior did not ask him to provide any. I said I don't care. I have no idea about cables and customer care person didn't tell me anything about getting my own cables. He said something which I didn't hear. Then, he asked me for the dish antenna. I said I don't have one. This time he was really pissed. He said a customer has to get his own dish. I got angry with his attitude too. Hence, I told him that I had already mentioned earlier to the customer care person of the same and they said everything would be taken cared of. I just needed to make the payments. He too shouted and told me every person who relocates, gets his own dish antenna. And he was not told by his seniors about getting one for me.

After 5 mins of argument, he called up his senior and told him about the incident saying I was rude to him. He then handed over the phone to me to talk to his boss. I told him the same thing. The person on the other side told me that they were not aware of the situation and was not asked to get a new dish antenna. Now, the installation could be done on the next day. I said I was fine. When the technician was about to leave, I asked him what time is he coming for the installation next day. He sai he was not sure - probably by around 11 AM.

By 6:46 PM, I gave a call to the Tata Sky customer care again to narrate the entire story, I was told by IVR that all the lines are busy and there would be a 10 mins waiting time before someone can speak to me. Rather wasting ten more mins, I hung up the phone. I thought of writing to Tata Sky Facebook page. I messaged them stating the incident and requesting them to give my connection ASAP. I got a reply after 10 mins which said, "Dear Jim Ankan Deka, we sincerely regret the inconvenience. Thank you for sending your details. Our representative will contact you shortly."

So, on March 16, when Naba did not show up till 11 AM, I called the customer care again. And they told that someone will get in touch with me. I thought of writing to Tata Sky Facebook page again. I wrote - " I haven't received any call or message regarding the installation. If you can't do that, I am fine with leaving your services and take another DTH connection from a different service provider. However, in that case I would like to get a confirmation mail from your side. At the same time I would also like to settle the bills. If there's anything from my side please let me know. I will be writing a blog about the experience and will share it with you once it is published."

And again after 10 mins I got a reply from Tata Sky saying, "Dear Jim Ankan Deka, we sincerely regret the inconvenience. We are looking into the issue and will get in touch with you shortly."

I didn't receive any call or message from Tata Sky till 11 AM on March 17, 2016. It's been 2 days and Tata Sky's 'shortly' haven't arrived my doorsteps yet. Just in case I do receive a reply I'll definitely put the same here.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chador-mekhela, drums, keyboard, guitar, cultural activists, bihu and Being Assamese

Dasara and merriment at Mysore Palace (travel photography)

Dehradun - places to visit in 24 hours | travelogue